The young pivot scored a try, kicked two conversions and three penalty goals, as well as a drop goal, while his booming boot also kept the Dragons on their heels for most of the match.

The Emirates Lions held a 19-6 lead at the break and will not be happy for the three tries they conceded in the second half.

The home side got away on the front foot in a scrappy match and Hendrikse did not waste any time to kick his side into the lead. The visitors pulled down a lineout and the flyhalf stepped up to kick a 35m penalty goal three minutes in.

The Dragons pulled one back when flyhalf Sam Davies kicked his first penalty goal, but Hendrikse kicked a 55m monster to get the lead back, following a scrum collapse by the visitors.

The Emirates Lions lost their leading try-scorer, Francke Horn, with an ankle injury in the opening stanza and fellow loose forward Emmanuel Tshituka with a yellow card for a suspected trip. From the resulting penalty, Davies kicked a second penalty goal to level scores again.

Hendrikse kicked a drop goal after numerous attacks did not breach the Dragons defence to give the Emirates Lions the lead again.

That was extended when Ross Moriarty was yellow carded 31 minutes in after pulling down a maul and from the resulting lineout, Ruhan Straeuli crashed over for the first try of the match. Hendrikse kicked the conversion, and a third penalty goal on the buzzer extended their lead again.

The second half did not start well for the home side though, as Henco van Wyk was yellow carded for a illegal ruck entry. The Dragons cleverly exploited the extra number in their backline, with Davies kick to the corner finding wing Sio Tomkinson, who dotted down for his side's opening try.

Hendrikse scored his side's second try following a lineout near the Dragons line and some good pick up and drive play by his pack. The flyhalf was at the right place at the right time to score and when he converted as well, the seven points was a fine reward for the Emirates Lions, being a man down at this stage.

Moriarty had another strong run, but a Quan Horn tackle dislodged the ball over the line and the Emirates Lions used their escape of jail card. The Welsh side continued their attack though and when hooker James Benjamin was driven over the line by his pack and replacement flyhalf JJ Hanrahan kicked the conversion, the visitors were back in the game, trailing by eight with 10 minutes to go.

The Emirates Lions scored again from lineout drive, with prop JP Smith getting the ball over the line after it seemed that the Dragons kept them out. The lead was extended by Gianni Lombard's conversion and with the 15 point lead and two minutes to play, their first home win was secured.

The Dragons did pull another try out of the hat when they started to attack from deep inside their half and replacement scrumhalf, Che Hope, finished the move with a try under the sticks. The hosts had one more go for the bonus point, but spilled the ball. 


Emirates Lions 33 (19) - Tries: Ruhan Straeuli, Jordan Hendrikse, JP Smith. Conversions: Hendrikse (2), Gianni Lombard. Penalty goals: Hendrikse (3). Drop goal: Hendrikse.

Dragons 25 (6) - Tries: Sio Tomkinson, James Benjamin, Che Hope. Conversions: JJ Hanrahan (2). Penalty goals: Sam Davies (2).